The first thing to know is: What is an NFT?
non-fungible token (NFT, non-fungible token) or non-fungible token, is a special type of cryptographic token that represents something unique. Non-expendable tokens are therefore not mutually interchangeable. This is in contrast to cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, and many utility or network tokens that are fungible by nature. The four main characteristics of NFTs is that they are unique, indivisible, transferable and with the ability to prove their scarcity, Source: Wikipedia.
Since this is a unique element, be it a digital article or the representation of a real world element in NFT, it is a way of making with cryptography that an article or real object is unique and that it can only be transferred from one owner to another.
What can we transform into an NFT?
The most interesting thing about NTFs is that they can be created based on different types of digital items or digital representation of a real world object, below we list some digital objects that can be created as NTFs:
- Images or photographs.
- Vector graphics.
- 3D graphics.
- Among others.
What software can I use to create my own NFT?
As the traditional software options that can be used to create either NFT Art or Music among many other options are wide, below we can list some free software tools available for different operating systems:
The creation of the article, music or digital art is not explained in detail in this publication, since it is assumed that the reader must take into consideration that for each of these elements to be created digitally, they must have at least basic knowledge in some of the areas like; graphic design, audio editing, electronic music creation, among many other areas.
What are the best known platforms to create NFT and publish it for sale?
Currently the best known that work on the Ethereum blockchain are:
Other platforms to trade with NTF
Do I have to have a blockchain wallet in order to create, own and sell my NFT tokens?
The answer is yes, the most used wallet currently on these platforms is a very popular metamask for its simplicity of use to connect it with this time of platforms for the possession and transfer of non-fungible tokens between users of this wallet and other wallets that handle this blockchain.
Process to create an NFT in OpenSea.
OpenSea, an NFT marketplace built on Ethereum
- Clicking on the “Create” button (see screenshot in blue) will open a screen that will ask you to connect your Ethereum-based wallet. Once you have entered your wallet password, it will connect to the marketplace. You may have to digitally sign a message on your Ethereum wallet to prove that you are the owner of its address, but it only takes one click to continue.
- There is no cost to digitally sign a message; it only serves to prove that you are the owner of the wallet.
- The next step in OpenSea is to go to the upper right corner and select “My Collections”. From there, click the blue “Create” button.
Create an NFT collection in OpenSea
- A window will appear allowing you to upload your artwork, add a name and include a description.
- This part essentially consists of creating a folder for your newly formed NFTs.
- Creation of the OpenSea NFT collection.
- Once you have assigned an image to your collection, it will appear as shown below (blue). Next, you will have to add a header image to the page by clicking on the pencil icon in the upper right corner (red).
Add a banner image to the NFT collection in OpenSea
- Your page should look like the image below. If so, then you are ready to create your first NFT. Click the “Add New Item” button (blue) and sign another message with your wallet.
Create an NFT Collection in OpenSea
- You will arrive at a new window where you can upload your image, audio, GIF or 3D NFT model.
- In OpenSea and many other marketplaces you also have the option to include special traits and attributes to increase the scarcity and uniqueness of your NFT. Creators even have the ability to include unlockable content that only the buyer can view. It can be anything: from passwords to access certain services to discount codes and contact information.
Characteristics of an NFT on the OpenSea platform.
- Once you are done, click on “Create” at the bottom and sign another message in your wallet to confirm the creation of the NFT. The work should then appear in your collection.
Cost of publishing an NFT.
Although in OpenSea, there is no cost for the creation of an NFT in other platforms, there is a cost commission known as “GAS” in pre-platforms on the Ethereum network, it simply consists of an amount of ether necessary to perform a certain function in the chain of blocks: in this case, add a new NFT to the marketplace. The cost of gas varies based on network congestion.
How to sell an NFT
To sell NFT in a marketplace you will have to locate them in your collection, click on them and find the “Sell” button. By clicking on it, you will access a pricing page where you can define the conditions of the transaction, including your preference for holding an auction or sale at a fixed price.
NTF technology is revolutionizing what we know as art, literary works, music videos among many others, and generating a new concept in the safe handling of art that we know and digital art or other types of digital elements or articles.